The Catalan Rabbit with Autumn Flavours was presented during the European Young Chef Award 2017, a competition organized by IGCAT (International Institute of Gastronomy, Culture, Art and Tourism) which sees Young Chefs coming from European Regions of Gastronomy compete inside the kitchens of a Culinary Arts School focusing on the theme: Innovation on Tradition.
Developed by Pau Gabarró, a participant of the 2017 edition, and inspired by Catalan’s ongoing tradition of Rabbit with Autum Flavours in an attempt to valorize these local products.
Rabbit Loin Filling
- Clean and score the liver and kidney and add to the hot pan.
- Mash them in the pan while cooking and add the salted cep mushrooms, hazelnuts and a teaspoon of ratafia. Mix everything well together and remove from the heat.
Stuffed Rabbit Loin
- Separate the rabbit into loin section, legs and shoulders.
- Keep the legs and shoulders for the stock.
- Clean the loin’s ribs until the bones are exposed.
- Stuff the loin with the filling mixture (above) and lace together using the bacon slices and fat.
- Cook in sous vide and then finish in the oven.
- Chop the pine nuts finely and keep to one side.
- Mix the water, salt and maltodextrin together, and then slowly add to the pine nuts until it forms a dough.
- Stretch the mixture over baking paper and cook for 35 minutes at 130 degrees.
- Sauté the onions and add the sliced chestnuts until lightly brown.
- Add the stock and let it reduce.
- Blend the mixture to produce the chestnut cream.
- Add to a syphon and charge with one cartridge; allow to rest.
Cep and Cod Offal Sauté
- Soak the cod offal in water to remove the salt.
- Change the water and boil with milled peppercorn and bay leaf.
- Once boiled, remove from the heat and allow to cool in the same liquid.
- Slowly cook the onions and add the diced mushrooms. Finally, mix through the cod mixture.
Source: IGCAT – European Young Chef Awards 2017, Region of Gastronomy