- Heat up half of the milk till lukewarm. Crumble in the yeast, add a pinch of sugar and stir. Dust with flour and leave in a warm place, until its volume has increased noticeably.
- Beat the butter to a cream. Add egg yolks, half the sugar and the vanilla sugar, and cream. Mix in the flour, the rest of the lukewarm milk, the yeast mix and some lemon zest and knead to a smooth elastic dough.
- Beat the egg whites with a small pinch of salt and the remaining sugar to a stiff peak, and work into the dough together with the well-drained raisins.
- Brush the Gugelhupf mould with melted butter and scatter with almond flakes. Pour in the dough, leave to rise in a warm place. Preheat the oven to around 180 °C (fan).
- Bake for 35 – 45 minutes. Upturn while still hot, and dust with icing sugar after cooling.
Source: Austrian National Tourist Office