The Brabant Stew was presented during the European Young Chef Award 2018, a competition organized by IGCAT (International Institute of Gastronomy, Culture, Art and Tourism) which sees Young Chefs coming from European Regions of Gastronomy compete inside the kitchens of a Culinary Arts School focusing on the theme: Innovation on Tradition.
Developed by Tim Bressers, a participant of the 2018 edition, and inspired by a traditional stew in an attempt to valorize these local products.
- Dab the beef brisket and oxtail to remove excess of moist.
- Season the meat on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Saute the shallot, garlic, rosemary and thyme gently, then add the meat to get a brown colour.
- Then add the red wine and beer to the mixture.
- Let it reduce completely until it is ‘stuck’ to the meat.
- Pour water in the cooker and let it boil for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Then pour the moisture over 2 pans and cook it both.
- Meanwhile, put a pan with caramel and quench it with natural vinegar and 1 part of the moisture.
- Season with sage and butter and thicken the mixture with the local cake (‘Bossche koek’)
- Use the other moisture to make the meat tasteful.
- Pick the meat from the pan and smoke it briefly in a smoker.
- First, let the false smoke escape.
- Cut the onions into rings.
- Put the onion in the butter and let is simmer slowly together with the rosemary.
- Take out the rosemary and pour the mass through a sieve.
- Season it with Chardonnay vinegar.
- Cut all the vegetables in the small cubes.
- Fry the shallot and garlic slowly in a pan, then add the vegetables.
- Cut the bacon into thin brunoise and fry it crispy in a baking pan.
- Make a-la-minute all ingredients to a hanging mass.
Crisp of ‘Bossche koek’ (local ginger bread)
- Slice the ‘Bossche koek’ on the slicer
- Stick out nice small circles of cake and bake it between baking mats in the oven at 130 degrees during 25 minutes.
Polenta epoisse cream
- Weigh all ingredients and put the broth on with butter.
- Cook the polenta in this liquid.
- When this is done, add the Brabant blue cheese and turn it smooth in the thermos.
- Add the epoisse and turn it to a smooth mass.
Source: IGCAT – European Young Chef Awards 2018, Region of Gastronomy