A vol-au-vent is the French name for a baked puff pastry batter. The name means ‘windblown’ and describes the lightness of the pastry.
A round opening is cut in the top and the pastry cut out for the opening is replaced as a lid after the case is filled. In Flanders the pastry is filled with a chicken, meatball and mushroom sauce.
- Make small meatballs from the minced meat and boil them in the stock until cooked
- Rub the mushrooms clean and fry them in little butter or margarine
- Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper
- Remove the bones, grease and skin from the boiled chicken
- Cut the chicken in small pieces
- Make a white sauce with the butter or margarine, flower, cream and stock and add the egg yolks and lemon juice
- Mix in the mushrooms, chicken pieces, meatballs and grated cheese
- Heat the baked puff pastry batters in the oven
- Remove them from the oven and fill them with the hot sauce
- Serve with fries or rice.